THE CAR Has been sold! Thank you :)
But if you still want to read about our car, continue :)
- 1998 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 Automatic
- Mileage: 237k miles , fuel consumption about 13l / 100km
- 4x4 with low range gearbox, 3 inch lift, upgraded coil springs and shocks, larger tires (285/75 R16)
- Metal bashplate covering vital parts, metal rock sliders
- Huge roof rack, supported by 4 cross bars (2 extra added) (200$)
- Dual battery setup with additional 100Ah AGM Deep cycle battery (400$) - charging with alternator while driving through smart relay
- Star of the show - Dometic 12V Compressor fridge - real fridge, no electric toy or cooler (worth about 400$)
- Camping equipment - Dual burner stove, big propane tank, table, chairs, cooking and dining set, boxes for storage (3 large boxes for food,clothes and cooking eq., 2 smaller for dry food), spices etc. (200$)
- Two big sturdy Plano plastic boxes, water & airtight, locked on the roofrack for additional storage (80$)
- Large comfortable bed with mattress, pillows & blanket, curtains all around the car for privacy
- Car Alarm with 2 remote controllers, 2 sets of keys
- Valid Oregon registration, clean title on hand - easy and 100% legal transfer to anyone
When we bought the car, I was very careful to choose a well maintained car. After having experience of driving 58000km around South America with a similar car, I know what I was looking for.
This Toyota had almost all the important bits, that could fail and damage the engine, changed by the previous owner, that was taking care of her meticulously, so despite the bigger mileage, I had no doubts about it at all. It's a Toyota, after all :) The main maintenance that was done before I bought it:
- All new belts, including the timing belt
- New water pump, new head gasket (important), new coils, shocks, 3 inch lift
After we bought it, I had it checked by suspension specialist in Mexico, and had replaced the lower ball joints, some bushings, tie rod end and sway bars. I also changed the starter battery, transmission oil, and regularly change the oil using fully synthetic for maximum care for the car.
So far we've done about 25000km with it, without a single check engine light, overheating or any problem at all. It just works :) There are some cosmetic bits, as it's 20 years old (scratches on the sides, tear in the seat, crack on windscreen), but all the important things work, transmission shifts smoothly, 4x4 and low gears work without any problem at all. We've ventured far into the wilderness with it and always returned safe to the civilization.
Thanks to the lift and larger tyres, the car is sitting beautifully high off the ground - there's almost no chance you could find a road this car wouldn't pass. Even in toughest terrains in Baja, where we've only met some tours in hardcore ATVs, we passed without even a scratch. You just go where you want to, without any worries. Helga will make it there - and back.
With help, I've installed second 100Ah battery to the back of the car, where the back seats used to be. The battery is charging via the alternator while you're driving the car - all through a special smart relay that is installed under the hood, and connected with the battery. You can use the fridge, charge some USB devices for 2-3 days without even starting the engine. If you ever wanted to stay longer at some place without moving, just start the engine for an hour or two and you'll be charged again.
Having the fridge is a luxury and it surely cost a lot of time and money, but to have ice cold beer on a beach in Costa Rica (as I'm having right now as I'm writing these lines) is priceless. You can stock up on your favourite perishable food like butter, cheese, eggs, meat, add some beers and it will all fit.
The car comes with many small extra pieces of equipment, like 12V USB charger with voltage meter, OBDII bluetooth monitor for diagnostics, fix-a-tyre, 12V compressor, small spare propane tank,tarp, some tools, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, safety triangles etc.
SElling the vehicle:
We'd like to sell the car to some travelers that would go back to the US with it, or continue driving south. The car is perfect for the journey, ready for an adventure, and an extremely common model throughout the americas. We're only selling, because we've done the whole Panamericana now :)
The location would be ideally in Panama or Costa Rica, around the end of April or beginning of May - we know how to sell the car, and it is 100% legal, no shady power of attorneys, the car will be yours.
Car has been sold, thank you :)
Contact: email@example.com or facebook: Ivan Buštor
For serious offers, we're more than happy to travel somewhere further. Write us :)